On the road in torrential rain:
Don’t panic. Some simple manoeuvres are enough to make sure you are safe.
- Double the safety distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.
- Adjust your speed: the slower you drive, the better you can anticipate hazards when visibility is poor. Similarly, you are less likely to experience aquaplaning.
- Pay attention to possible closed roads and diversions: safety measures may have been taken to prevent motorists from ending up on flood-prone and dangerous roads.
- Do not approach streams and bridges due to the risk of overflow.
- If possible, be prepared to park high up, sheltered from flooding.